Thursday, January 22, 2009

News about TL...

As you all know from my profile and my post about "Who is TL?", I'm currently been working on getting a job and to stop living out of my car. The reason for the day and half absence that occurred was mainly because I had some appointments that I had to attend too. So, this is what happened the last few days.

Tuesday - 1/20/2009 - After 11:30 am

After my first post about the Inauguration, I was hoping I would be able to catch the speech live but I couldn't mainly because I had an appointment with Kay, who is the Housing Coordinator for Catholic Charities at 1:00 pm. I tried to see if I was able to catch President Obama's speech but I couldn't by the time I had to start heading over to Catholic Charities. About the time I got to Catholic Charites, the speech was over. Which was a bummer, but good thing for the internet though. Anywho, my appointment with Kay was very insightful as I learn of new resources that might help me like the Welcome House, Recovery Network, and the Vocational Rehab. I meet with Kay for a little over an hour as we worked on some goals for me to get me into some kind of housing. Goals like getting certain documents together that I will need to track down from my personal stuff, applying for food stamps, applying for section 8 housing, and etc. Armed with these new resources, I formed a plan of attack for myself for the next day.

After I was done with Kay at Catholic Charities, I decided to go and see some old friends in Delhi, OH that I haven't seen in a very long time. Cathy and Richard helped me out several years ago and I thought I would just drop in and see how their were doing and catch up with them. This last week, I have been taking a stroll down memory lane as I started connected with some of my very old friends from when I started college in 1995. Just wanted to see how they are doing and everything. So, it was nice to catch up with Cathy and Richard. I got to their place around 3:00 pm and stayed until around 6:30 pm.

Anyway, after I left, my intention was to come out to the library here and do a few posts regarding the Inauguration and my visit but as I was drving, I noticed that I was falling asleep and couldn't stay awake. So, I made it to Turfway and parked in a parking lot to take a few hours of sleep. This was around 7 pm. The next thing I know it was midnight, then it was 5 am, and then 9 am. 14 hours of sleep was the best I got in a while.

Wednesday - 1/21/2009

So, after my 14 hours of sleep, I had to run some errands in the morning before I head down to Recovery Network in Covington. These errands took me about two hours before I finally started heading to Recovery Network.

At Recovery Network I met Andrea, which she gave me a lot of resources that will help me out big times. One of my recent problems I have been having is when I go and apply somewhere, I couldn't use my PO Box because it wasn't a street address. So, Recovery Network gave me a homeless verification letter which allows me to use their address. This is huge because this was one of the things that Kay from Catholic Charities said I would need to get. This will allow me to sign up for things. While there, I got a referral for the Welcome House where I have to go in on Monday to see what they also can do for me. The Welcome House has a Job Club that if I qualify for would benefit me hugely because they will help with computer certifications and etc. Also, they will help me with Vocational Rehab. So, this will be great for me.

After I left Recovery Network armed with my homeless verification letter, I went to apply for food stamps down in Covington. When I got there around 3:30 pm, there was 30 people there still waiting. Then as I went to one of the waiting windows, I ran into Charles. Charles was also another one of my friends from when I started college as well. Seeing him brought back some more memories from that time as we talked about the old days. He also recommended that it's pretty much guarnteed I wouldn't been seen that day that it would probably be best to sign up for an appointment and have it mailed to me. So, that's what I decided to do. I filled out all the paperwork that is required and then in five to seven days they will send me my appointment time. So, that's all I'm waiting on for now for me to get food stamps. Getting food stamps would be a huge deal for me as I don't have to use money money on food. So, I can continue eating out of my car rather than spending money on fast food resturants. Can't wait!

After leaving the food stamps office, I went over to my best friend's place to visit him and his family. I got there around 4 pm and ended up staying there watching "Lie to me" on Fox and the 2nd half of the UK Basketball game. Then I left around midnight. As I was living though, I got a scare because my "check engine" light came on and I decided to rather than come back to Burlington, I would stay over in that area to go to AutoZone to get my car tested. So, I stayed at the Kroger's parking lot sleeping. But when I woke up to head to AutoZone, the check engine light didn't come on.

So, I came to the library and now you all are caught up!

- TL

No comments:

Post a Comment