Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Is AmeriCorps in your future…

As the title suggests, is AmeriCorps in your future?  This blog is going to be about my experience as an AmeriCorps and how it changed my life.  But not only that, it will give an overview of AmeriCorps.  The end results is hopefully after reading and looking into the different AmeriCorps program that you, yourself, will sign up to be an AmeriCorps and serve.  AmeriCorps can make a big difference in your life and could help you gain that valuable experience.

What Is AmeriCorps?

According to the AmeriCorps website, “AmeriCorps is an opportunity to make a big difference in your life and in the lives of those around you. It’s a chance to apply your skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical needs in the community.”  I must say that AmeriCorps has made a big difference in my life and this is my first year I volunteer.  Before I found this, I was homeless, living with friends and out of a car for a year and half.  It was during my homeless phase that a passion was lit under me.  I was determine more than ever to help fight poverty, homelessness, and many other problems facing America or in my area.  As an AmeriCorps member, I’m able to use my skills to “address critical needs in communities all across America” especially in any of the following areas:

  • Tutor and mentor disadvantaged youth
  • Fight illiteracy
  • Improve health services
  • Build affordable housing
  • Teach computer skills
  • Clean parks and streams
  • Manage or operate after-school programs
  • Help communities respond to disasters
  • Build organizational capacity

With my Master of Science in Technology Degree which has an area of specialization in Technology Management and my Bachelor of Organizational Studies with an area of concentration in Information Systems, I knew that I would have no problems doing this volunteer job.  So, after many months of trying to look for a job, I was able to get my current AmeriCorps position “Housing Support VISTA Volunteer” in the area I lived in.

Besides AmeriCorps helping me, I’m helping people in my community to make a difference by what I have created for the community.  Each time an agency uses my tool, it’s making a connection to the families and/or individuals.  Over the last year, I have helped several homeless individuals and families start getting back on their feel either by working with them closely setting goals or by providing them with housing resource for the Northern Kentucky area.  The following are resources I have created and it is disburse to over 4,085 people per month:  (to read more about this project, read my post on Housing Resource Outreach Report)

Benefits of AmeriCorps

Thanks to AmeriCorps, I’m slowly recovering from homelessness.  Volunteering for AmeriCorps has allow me to get back on my feet.  As an AmeriCorps member you will get the following benefits:

  • Modest Living Stipend – depending on the area you are serving in, you will get a paycheck every two weeks that will be enough to just pay for your basic expenses.
  • Segal AmeriCorps Education Award - $4,725 to pay for college, graduate school, or to pay back qualified student loans.
  • Professional Development – During the year, you will attend trainings, conferences, and gain valuable on the job full-time training
  • Non-competitive clause – after your year, you will open up a whole new job market area in the government sector and gain a non-competitive clause.

AmeriCorps Programs

AmeriCorps is made up of three main programs: AmeriCorps State and National, AmeriCorps VISTA, and AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps).  I’m currently an AmeriCorps VISTA.  To learn more about these programs, follow the program of interest below:

How Do I Join?

Did I convince you to join up and start Volunteering In Service To America (VISTA), for AmeriCorps State/National, or AmeriCorps NCCC?  To search for an AmeriCorps national service opportunity that fits your interests and desired location, click here.  Applications for any position can also be submitted online – all you have to do is create a user profile.

If you need additional assistance or have questions, please:

There are thousands of opportunities to serve in AmeriCorps. Each one provides an incredible opportunity to make a difference in your life and in the lives of those around you.  So, what are you waiting for?  Tell them TL sent you!  Well, not really.  You can for the fun of it but they will just act like they don’t know me.  *lol*

TL

No comments:

Post a Comment